Thursday, February 12, 2009

My little slice of HEAVEN

Today during the beginning of fourth block, my advisor from Troy University popped into my classroom to do a surprise evaluation. For those of you who have no idea what this is; since I am interning in my own classroom for my Masters Degree, I have to be randomly evaluated by another teacher, my principal, and my advisor four times during this semester. Needless to say I was shocked to see her just waltz in because (without serious details being divuldged) today was not a super peachy day to this point. Yesterday's fourth block was a total waste because we were moved out of the trailers into our safe areas due to the weather; so I got zero accomplished and today was CATCH UP DAY. Despite how terrible I thought my teaching 90 mph was, she gave me a beaming evaluation and told me that I was one of the best educators that she has ever seen. Whoah times a billion. She commented on how well-behaved the students were and how actively engaged they were in what we were doing. Perhaps since I see those boogers everyday, I take for granted just how lucky I truly am. Yes. I teach everyday in a single-wide trailer that has a hole in the floor. Yes. I have 32 students + 2 teachers' assistants + myself crammed in there rain or shine. No. I do not have 90% of the technology available to me to use to enhance my lessons. But, when I was speaking with Ms. Gaston today, I realized the most important thing. YES! I have a job that I wake up every morning and am genuinely excited to be going to. YES! I have a super fantastic group of students this semester that do not mind being cramped and really do have a yearning to learn. When I ponder where I could be at this point in my life had I stayed on my original track of becoming a pharmacist, I wonder how my "slice of heaven" would differ. Yes. I would be making triple the salary of what I am currently. Yes. I would probably enjoy helping people. But there are some real hard truths of my alternate life that I am glad that I never have to wonder about. Although I am not curing cancer in my "slice" as a teacher; but, you had better believe that those little darlings will never ever be curious as to what causes air pollution or what might happen if we drill for oil in ANWR!

1 people love me:

Unknown said...

Good job killer...